Job title: Advocacy and Communications Specialist
Employment category: Band G1 – Non management
Reporting to: Director" id="link" class="link">Country Director
Unit/department: Advocacy and Communications
Location: Beirut with travel to the field.
Authorization level: N/A
The Advocacy and Communications Specialist provides overall leadership, Coordination and strategic direction to DRC-DDG’s advocacy and communications work in Lebanon. S/he is responsible for identifying priority concerns and opportunities for advocacy and communications, strengthening the integration of advocacy into DRC-DDG’s programmes, raising DRC-DDG’s visibility and influence, and guiding DRC-DDG’s advocacy to promote rights of displacement-affected populations in Lebanon.
Reporting directly to the DRC-DDG Country Director, the Advocacy and Communications Specialist engages duty bearers, media and key stakeholders in evidence-based initiatives to influence and lobby for the rights of affected populations. Working closely with the programme teams, s/he is responsible for the development of key positions and messaging around pertinent issues, proactively leading on advancing DRC-DDG’s principles and vision in Lebanon.
- Lead on the development and implementation of the DRC-DDG Lebanon advocacy strategy
- Develop and update talking points, top-line messages and advocacy tasks for the DRC-DDG Lebanon team.
- Establish strategic relationships with media outlets to ensure push of key advocacy messages.
- Suggest actions to national policy responses and policy frameworks, as well as other factors such as UN coordination, funding for the response, security and current and future challenges that have an impact on displaced populations and their access to Humanitarian Assistance and protection services.
- Suggest key advocacy opportunities and targets at national and regional levels.
- Draft and otherwise support the creation of advocacy products as outlined in the advocacy strategy for use at the country, regional and international levels in compliance with DRC-DDG’s internal policies.
- Contribute to the regional advocacy strategy and to regional and global advocacy initiatives, ensuring that the DRC-DDG Lebanon specificities are reflected and captured.
- Plan, coordinate and execute advocacy initiatives, campaigns and other actions designed to directly engage stakeholders and policymakers around specific policy issues in close coordination with the Country Director and programme leadership team.
- In coordination with Evidence Generation teams, contribute to research for development of advocacy products and policy briefs. This includes Analysis of information produced through DRC-DDG's programs and information Management Systems. Use evidence to inform advocacy priorities and positions.
- As a member agency, contribute to the regional Durable Solutions Platform (DSP) research efforts
- Develop strategic relationships with other NGOs to advance joint advocacy efforts in Lebanon.
- Lead on the development and implementation of DRC-DDG Lebanon communications strategy
- Produce high-quality content to support positive communication of DRC’s programs and advocacy activities in Lebanon. This will entail:
- Supporting generation of high quality communication and advocacy materials, especially stories, case studies, quotes, photographs, short videos, etc.
- Regular production of digital contents (e.g. stories, photos, blogs, social media posts) and dissemination through DRC’s website and social media channels
- Creating and managing an internal communication database (photos, stories, quotes)
- Coordinate development of visual materials used for DRC-DDG programmes with DRC’s regional communication department
- Contribute to regional communications efforts
- Fully plan and manage DRC-DDG Lebanon’s social media accounts in coordination with Programme Teams and Support
- Engage local and national media and journalists to support positive communication of DRC-DDG’s programmes and advocacy activities in Lebanon. This will entail:
- Build and maintain relationships with Lebanese media outlets and maintain a database of Lebanese media contacts
- Organize visits for international journalists to program locations (including logistical arrangements)
- Generate high quality media coverage of DRC-DDG’s programme and advocacy work in Lebanon. This includes contributing to developing and disseminating press releases, reactive lines, questions and answers, media briefs, etc.
- Regularly visit projects in the field to ensure a direct link between program work and communication, and identify and generate media and communication
- Oversee and provide technical advice to the Referral Information Management System (RIMS) brand and identity and communications plan
- Oversee and provide technical advice to the Grants Officer on communications compliance
- In coordination with the regional office, support the production of communications material (budget and content) for the EU MADAD LINKED Consortium led by DRC
- Provide technical advice to the Grants team on communications and donor compliance
- Manage and oversee the work of communications consultants (i.e. web developers, video producers, etc.)
- Manage advocacy and communications-related costs/budgets
- In coordination with the Country Director, ensure a coherent internal communications set-up for cross-office information sharing
- Safeguard DRC-DDG’s overall brand and identity
Strategy and representation
- As part of the Senior Management Team of DRC-DDG, support management to articulate priority advocacy and communications objectives and develop programme-specific strategies
- Ensure DRC MENA Regional Office, HQ, Brussels and Geneva representation offices are in line with DRC Lebanon advocacy and communications strategies/policy lines and understand and promote its asks.
- Liaise with key UN, NGO and other interlocutors, including donors, in Lebanon to ensure DRC has up to date information on the humanitarian situation and response in the region.
- May act as DRC-DDG’s spokesperson as designated by the CD, or otherwise offer spokesperson training for relevant staff
- Support country management and other programme staff in their work, including development of a plan for achieving their priority advocacy and communications objectives in both humanitarian and development programming. This should include guidelines on the meaningful and safe participation of beneficiaries in advocacy and communications.
- Represent DRC-DDG in advocacy-related countries and (as relevant) regional fora related to advocacy or as otherwise delegated by the CD.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working in advocacy and communications on humanitarian issues, refugee rights, Human Rights, and/or development issues.
- Prior experience working inadvocacy and communications for protection in a humanitarian context.
- Strong understanding of the political system and context in Lebanon. Prior experience working with the Government of Lebanon, media stakeholders, line ministries, and local authorities is a plus.
- Ability to analyse quantitative and qualitative data.
- Experience of influencing and advocacy work including lobbying, policy development and information provision in humanitarian issues.
- Experience working with local civil society in Lebanon.
- Experience of and strong skills in developing and implementing humanitarian advocacy strategies and campaigns.
- Knowledge of refugee rights and international humanitarian law.
- Understanding of UN and donor operations at country and regional level.
- Photography and graphic Design skills are a plus.
- A passion for advocacy, communications and humanitarian outcomes
- Creativity and attention to detail
- High level analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people.
- Patient, tolerant, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure.
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprising complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills, with experience in coordinating multicultural teams.
- Commitment to Danish Refugee Council values and vision.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Tertiary qualifications in human rights, social sciences, journalism, media, or related discipline is compulsory. Advanced degree such as Masters or a combination of disciplines, is advantageous.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic is required.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- DRC-DDG programme and support services teams.
- National and international NGOs and civil society.
- National and international media outlets (TV, Radio, Press)
- Government of Lebanon ministries and stakeholders.
- Donor and international government/embassy focal points.
Last updated: May 2020
♦Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
♦Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.
♦Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.