Position title: Advisor to the Vice-President, RDSA Grade: PL2 Position N°: 50064904 Reference: ADB/20/095 Publication date: 10-Jul-2020 Closing date: 09-Aug-2020 Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d'IvoireApply Now
ObjectivesTHE BANK: Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and Technical Support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. THE COMPLEX /THE HIRING DEPARTMENT The Vice-Presidency for ‘Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery’ is responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. The RDVP will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates. Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa. THE POSITION: The role of the Advisor to the Vice-President is to support the RDVP by coordinating the work of the 5 Regional Hubs, plus the Nigeria Country Department, the Transition States Coordination Office and the Regional Integration Coordination Office to:
- Ensure the achievement of the Complex’s deliverables and KPIs.
- Ensure quality control of various reports/documents submitted by the Departments.
- Provide critical Analysis of strategies, policies, directives and advise on procedures, approaches for the implementation of RDVP mandate.
Duties and responsibilitiesUnder the overall guidance of the Vice-President RDVP, the Advisor works closely with the entire team in the Vice-President’s Office in the following areas:
- Support and advise the Vice-President RDVP in the coordination of the Bank's Operational activities through the Operations Committee (OPSCOM), as well as other relevant platforms. Among other things, this entails providing support to the RDVP Front Office Director and the Lead Country Programme Coordinators (CPCs) and advising the Vice-President, RDVP, as appropriate.
- Support and advise the RDVP in the coordination of the Bank’s corporate activities through the Senior Management Coordination Committee (SMCC) and other relevant platforms. In this regard, work closely with the RDVP Front Office Director and the RDVP Budget Manager to review documentation submitted for SMCC consideration.
- Support and advise the RDVP in the coordination and review of policies, strategies, directives and initiatives submitted by the Departments in the RDVP complex.
- Advise the Vice-President RDVP on emerging matters of strategic, policy and institutional significance, including the formulation/update of Bank Group Policies, Strategies, and Guidelines.
- Support the RDVP Front Office Director and the RDVP Budget Manager in the coordination and harmonization of the work program of the respective Departments in consultation with the Manager responsible for Budget and Results, following up on their implementation and report periodically on the status of their progress to the Vice President.
- Advise and support the Vice-President RDVP on all aspects related to performance indicators, KPIs and report periodically on the status of their progress.
- Collaborate with the RDVP audit focal point in the coordination and monitoring of the implementation of audit recommendations relating to the complex and report periodically on the status of implementation to the Vice-President.
- Advise and support the Vice-President RDVP on resource mobilisation and donor coordination activities (e.g. ADF replenishment, Trust Funds, and General Capital Increase, etc.), including participating in related Committees and Task Forces.
- Advise and support the Vice-President RDVP on all matters pertaining to organisational units within the RDVP Complex.
- Support the Vice-President’s participation in internal and external meetings/events - Board meeting, Workshops, Seminars, etc. - including preparing technical reports, briefing materials, speeches, etc.
- Provide technical support and advice to the Vice-President RDVP and the Complex in their interaction with other Complexes to ensure effective coordination and communication - including participation in activities aimed and improving Bank-wide communication and coordination, e.g. the Front Office Forum, cross-Complex coordination meetings, documents review, etc.
- Provide technical and analytical support/advice to the Vice-President RDVP Front Office and represent the Office in relevant Bank wide Committees, Initiatives, Task Forces, etc.
- Monitor the implementation of decisions made by the Boards, the President or the Vice-President in respect to Departments under the RDVP.
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, Engineering, Business Administration, Public Administration or related discipline.
- Knowledge of development issues.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience in the formulation and implementation of policies, programs and projects either within the Bank or with a similar development institution or the public service.
- Demonstrated experience in fragility and/or regional integration and the project cycle of sovereign operations within a multilateral financial institution.
- Experience in the preparation and/or review of strategies/operations in a multilateral financial institution.
- Strong knowledge of socio-economic development issues and policies of African countries;
- Experience working in a team in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, international and professional environment.
- Knowledge and experience with African Development Bank operations or sister multilateral Development Finance institutions.
- Private sector experience is an added advantage.
- Innovation and creativity.
- Client orientation.
- Problem Solving.
- Operational effectiveness.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to present and win support for ideas.
- A good listener with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage change.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
- Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Business acumen.
- Ability to implement strategy.
- Executing for results.
- Exerting influence.
- Exercising decisiveness.
- Team Building and relationship management.
- The ability to take initiative/spotting opportunity/pushing strategy.
- Mentorship/coaching skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Experience in the use of SAP is advantageous.